October 23, 2012

Saved By A Ghost! (a painting tip)

How's that for an attention grabber? LOL!!

You know how I am still painting my daughter's room?  Yeah, I know you peeps are tired of hearing about that, but trust me - not nearly as tired as I am of trying to finish it, lol!   Anyway, I made the final push to get the last wall finished this morning and I ran into t-r-o-u-b-l-e.  I had tons of little goobie paint globs every time I rolled.  Yuck!  I guess the paint inside the can had dried a bit from the last time I painted, and then when I shook it up and stirred they all got mixed in.

I love my Sherwin Williams paint, and I love these nifty replacement paint can lids that I always use.  They let me pour with no mess and then close up the can so the paint doesn't dry out while I'm working.  But the last batch of paint I bought came in plastic cans that my pour lids didn't fit.  *pout*  My can of paint ended up drying out a bit last time and so now I am struggling with goobies.

I spent so much time wiping them off the wall that when the first coat was finished I was ready to quit.  Most of this wall is behind a set of tall bookshelves so who would know if it wasn't quite finished, eh?

... but then I had a brainstorm!

Last weekend I picked up some cheesecloth to make more of the ghosts that I made  here and I thought maybe I could use it to strain the remaining 1/2 gallon of paint and clean out those globbies.   The only containers I could come up with were several small canning jars that were intended for a really cool craft project I was planning that just didn't quite work out the way I imagined, and this is what I did:

I used two layers of the cloth and tucked it into each jar a little to make a hollow to hold the paint, then twisted on just the outside ring of the lid to hold the cloth in place, and then poured slowly.  OHMYGOSH it worked perfectly!!  Now I can pour out a jar of glob free paint to finish the next coat - plus all my extra paint is in tidy little jars to store for future touch ups.  I'll just add a label with the color name and 'recipe' from the original can in case I ever need more.

So that's my goobie paint glob busting tip!  Plus a couple bonus ideas ;)

My first coat must be dry by now so I'm off to finish the job, again....



Thanks for visiting!

1 comment :

  1. How slick are you! ;) Never sick of hearing about your painting! ;)

    ReplyDelete