August 24, 2015

Burlap Birthday Banner

I offered to make a birthday banner for one of my peeps who was having a beach themed party, and the first idea I had was to use burlap.  I'm not sure why I thought this felt beachy, but it works I think, lol!

I've never used burlap in a project before and I was trying to figure out how I would make it work, when I stumbled through Michael's big 80% clearance sale aisle.  Ok, I didn't stumble, I lingered.  I went through EVERY bin.  TWICE.  Wow what goodies I found, including a roll of laminated burlap!  Can you say destiny??  Now I KNEW my burlap idea was perfect, lol!  And it only cost me 85cents!  I also found a package of white twisty rope for 50cents that felt beachy to me too.  Gotta love great finds with perfect timing!

I hand cut the burlap into banner pieces, and decided to make it a bit stronger by glueing 1/2 inch strips of chipboard to the top back edge where the holes would be punched.  This really helped stiffen everything up and make it more durable against shredding.





I just made simple pastel scallop circles with gorgeous shimmery light blue centers to mat the letters (SNF Jolly Curls from Sillhouette Design Store) which I popped up with some foam tape.  I added some cute sea shells and coral from SVG Cuts' Wet n Wild svg kit.


Can you see the shimmer on that beautiful Creative Memories light blue paper?  LOVE their shimmers!



Another long project that is hard to figure out how to photograph.  I had hubby and my 9yo hold it up outside so I could take a pic, but the two of them had such troubles trying to get the string tight enough and level enough and steady enough, that this is the one and only shot I got - complete with backlighting that makes it look like it is glowing!  LOL!  But you get the idea!  :)


Thanks for visiting!

No comments :

Post a Comment